Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tahoe & Gramps Memorial

And the third runner up was... beautiful Tahoe, California!!  I was able to go a few summers ago with my best friend Barb and her kids. I fell in-love with her parents and brothers' family there and had been looking forward to going back ever since I'd left! It was finally time to go... However, the trip turned out a little different than planned. The night after I came back from our family vacation, Barb's father, passed away. It was not really expected and was definitely a hardship on everyone who knew him. Well, after being numb for a few days, I pulled myself together, got busy & drove out to Tahoe with Barb's son Tyler.

After arriving in Tahoe, it was lots of planning and preparing, for the next few days, till the memorial for Gramps. There were lots of: tears, people, pictures, stress & stuff to do before then but at least we were busy. Krissy and I made three big collage posters of pictures to display at the memorial. They turned out awesome. Barbs long time friends were all there every step of the way--comforting and loving her as well as cleaning the house and picking up last minute items. As well as Barbs brother and his family being there constantly as well--staying up late and getting things done. With the help of so many, everything came together so great... it truly was beautiful.
Gramps' Memorial was a beautiful celebration of a great man who touched so many peoples lives. With a beach front back drop, in beautiful Kings Beach, CA, the whole center was filled with hundreds of people. It was so great to hear the stories of this amazing man and how he lived his life to the fullest and worked so hard to provide for his family. He showed everyone so much love and compassion. He was the greatest Gramps in the world, and so many people knew it! The memorial service was beautiful. I can't even put into words the infinite amount of love and comfort that was felt in the room that day. Grandma was so strong for all of us, through the whole thing. One morning I was up early and the rest of the house was quite. It was just grandma and I. We sat there for hours and talked all about Gramps. Every time she would tell a story about him she would smile. We laughed and cried and I learned so much about Gramps I never knew. Gramps was such a great man because he married such an amazing woman! Can you imagine being completely in-love after 54-years...?? They were... (:
A few summers ago,when I went back to Tahoe with Barb, Gramps took me right-in! After only being there a day, I became one of his adopted granddaughters. Along with that came the sarcasm and teasing, as well as unconditional love and support any grandfather would express. I remember how excited he was for me to go back to Romania. This past Christmas he came to visit and the first thing he asked about was my trip back to Romania and how it went. He wanted to see pictures. I handed him my scrapbook and he looked and read through every page. I told him about my schooling and plans for the future, and he was so proud of me. I loved him and will miss him very much. But his memories live on and I am so happy that I was lucky enough to call him my adopted Gramps. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment